Saturday, February 6, 2010

Today I learned how to write with fire.

Ok - just FYI, I haven't started a cooking blog. Although my husband would probably be ok with that. He took the Pineapple Upside-Down cake to work with him this morning and he said his co-workers thought it was pretty tasty. After two recipes in a row, though, I wanted to mix things up a bit. So today I learned about pyrography. I mean, come on. Anything with the prefix "pyro" has got to be fun!

I think it was a year ago at Christmastime that I bought my woodburner tool and a wooden slate. I was feeling all ambitious about making Christmas presents, and I wanted to make a sign for my Uncle. This Uncle has a piece of property, 40 acres, I'm assuming because the locals refer to it as "The Lost 40" and he liked the name and kept it. Uncle had a little hunting cabin imported to plunk down on a hill there and I thought it might be nice to make him a sign for the cabin.

I was cleaning out my cupboard recently and found the dusty woodworking tool and slate and realized that I do this a lot. My husband bought me a really awesome sewing machine that I wanted, but don't really know how to use. I have crochet hooks, scrapbooking and painting supplies and an assortment of other crafty gear around that has been collecting dust because of my lack of know-how or my lack of time to achieve the know-how. Haha - but no longer! I will conquer the unknown day by day, whether it be crafting or life-skills or wielding a chainsaw! And I shall share the process here with you. ;) If you're there. : *tap-tap* Is this thing on?

The Materials:
Woodburning tool, with multiple tips, wood slate, scratch paper for design.

Fire up the cannon! :) It takes about five minutes to heat up to 510F.

Yes, I did have a moment when I thought about learning if
I could roast a marshmallow above it.
I also realized the coincidence that yesterday
my goal was to NoT burn things.

Practice doodles on scratch wood were helpful to figure out
the feel of the tool and how to handle it.

I started it up and then realized I should do my rough design sketch
BeFoRe I started burning the wood.

There we go.
A little reverse engineering and we're off...

I made an outline of the design in marker
and then sort of let creativity take over.

Although I don't know what in the long-legged porcupine
I was thinking here.
Bad, creativity. Bad. You get a time-out.
I was probably distracted by the fact that whoever designed this thing
probably doesn't press as hard as I do.
My index finger is still a little flat and
I have a permanent dent in my middle finger.

Oh, and I almost caught my pants on fire.
Apparently, pressing too hard loosens the tip
to the point where it comes loose.
So I wouldn't recommend that. For the love of all things holey.
Unless you enjoy the idea of dropping something
hotter than the inside of an oven, near your crotch.
Which, by the way, is a VeRy alarming sensation.
Hmm. Yeah. Don't do that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Somehow, I have an inkling that
I'll be learning how to patch holes soon.
And a refresher on basic first aid might be handy, too
Especially before I try that whole chainsaw thing...

The finished product. Tah-Dah!
BYW, you can click any photo on my blog to get a closer look.
I'm not planning to quit my day job (hehe)
but it's not too bad for a first try. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, I'll go the other extreme and learn how to do something colder.
I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You put your input in! You take some insight out! You put your input in and you shaaake it all abooout...