Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Today I learned that when life gives you snow, you make snowmen.

Snow? More snow? And another arctic-blast? The forecast made my eyebrow start to twitch. It’s not that I don’t like snow. In fact, I have a lot of fond memories sledding down the hill at my grandparents’ pasture in the stuff. (Well, except that I had accidental talent in making my sled spin around halfway down the hill. And then I’d be rushing down the hill backwards into the ample supply of prickly gooseberry bushes …
...hehe good times.)

I figured out today that this is a lot of my problem with the vast amounts of snow we’ve gotten this winter. It’s always accompanied by a bitter cold snap, or arrived when my kids are battling the latest of the ten-thousand strains of cold and flu going around. If you take out the sledding and the snow forts, snow is just what stows away on your shoes and melts into puddles that you inevitably find with your stocking feet.

It’s barely the second week in February, and winter’s still going to be here for awhile. So even though our fun plans for the day had been cancelled, buried in the latest avalanche of snowfall, I made a decision to make the best out of my situation. I realized I was going to have to make friends with snow again. And if I couldn’t take the kids out to play in the snow, by golly, I’ll bring the snow in to play with the kids… So, armed with a snow shovel and the largest storage container I could find, I harvested a bathtub full of snow.



The kids loved the idea.

Snowball fight with the back wall of the shower.



Good throw, sis!


Lil Kodi looked apprehensive, but gave it a try.


Unfortunately, her release was a little too soon. :)

Snowman construction underway.


Inserting the carrot nose...


Kodi offers Frosty her scarf and
Waybums applies the popsicle stick arms.


Ava pats her new friend's head and Kodi blows him a moochie.


So proud of their work! :)


I asked if they had fun...
These kids couldn't smile any bigger.
~~~~~~~
Sometimes things don't go how you plan. And I could have spent the afternoon bummed about how the snow ruined our plans. But this was SO much more fun. I learned today that it helps to put a little thought and creativity into solving a problem.

Tomorrow I will be visiting a business to cross off one more of my "100 Things to Do in My Lifetime" - and it should be fun...
I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You put your input in! You take some insight out! You put your input in and you shaaake it all abooout...