Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Today I learned how to make and appreciate homemade crackers

Back at the beginning of the year, I read a slave narrative published in 1861, entitled “Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl.” It is an amazing true account of the lengths this woman went to simply to have the right to own her life. It should be on the required reading list of every high school.

The main character’s grandmother, a freed woman, was an important character in the story and she mastered many trades to help support her family and earn the respect of her community. To quote a passage:

“She became an indispensable personage in the household, officiating in all capacities, from cook and wet nurse to seamstress. She was praised for her cooking; and her nice crackers became so famous in the neighborhood that many people were desirous of obtaining them. In consequence of numerous requests of this kind, she asked her mistress to bake crackers at night after all the household work was done...”

This woman would work herself bone-tired all day and then made crackers into the night, using the earnings to buy clothes for her children and saved back the extra with hopes to buy her children. Wow. How humbling! This woman worked so hard. I read that and thought about how much I take for granted. My freedom, my children, my right to choose what I want to do. I toss my clothes in the washing machine and press a few buttons. I place my dishes in the dishwasher and press a few buttons. I set my food in the microwave and press a few buttons. We take it for granted how easy things are for us in this country, in this generation.

The crackers were really what kind of clicked with me. I’ve never made crackers before in my life. Why would I when I can just pick them up at the store, all tidy and prepackaged in a box? But reading that passage made me think about the fact that back in the 1800s, if people wanted crackers they had to roll up their sleeves and make some. Over a fire.

I admire all those who came before us, to make things easier for us, who dared to singe off their arm hair snatching out soon-to-be-too-done batches from the toasty ovens. And today as I learn to make crackers I will do my best to appreciate the fine electric stove I will put them in, and the handy mitten-shaped potholders that will protect my tender fingers.

INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE CRACKERS:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 stick of butter (works better than margarine)

Step #1 - Mix ingredients

First, mix the dry ingredients.
Waybums has been particularly excited about this lesson.
My little "cracker attacker" loves everything
from Grahams to Goldfish crackers.

After the dry ingredients are mixed, add 1/3 of a cup of melted butter
and the 2/3 cup of water.
(Save back the extra from the stick butter.)
Mix these ingredients together until it forms a smooth dough...

...like this.

Now, divide the dough into two sections and cover for ten minutes

I don't know why.
In my research I read something about the flour absorbing the moisture.

Step #2 - Form the crackers

Now, put half of the dough in a square on a 17x9 cookie sheet and roll it out.

Trim the edges straight and cut into squares.

A pizza cutter works great.

Well, as great as your aim, anyway.


I did end up with a few crooked crackers, but that was operator error.

Now, poke a bunch of holes into the crackers.
This is so they don't bubble up.
It also helps when you've had a frustrating day.
Take it out on the cracker.
Go ahead, they won't judge.

Now, bake in your preheated oven for 8-14 minutes . . .

OH, WAIT!
I FORGOT AN IMPORTANT STEP!!!

Melt your remaining butter and brush it over the crackers
and then add table salt or coarse salt to taste.
Yeah. I remembered about halfway into the cooking time.
Oops.
But like I said, the crackers are pretty forgiving.

NOW put them in the oven 8-14 minutes, or until they are golden.

Not only are they way less expensive than store crackers,
they are also tastier. MoRe Tastier. Or is it MoRe TasTieST?
:)

A couple tips...

No, those aren't multigrain.
They're just the reason why you want to cook them
in the middle of the middle rack.

And since you're doing it yourself - you might as well have fun.

Giant cracker anyone?
I already (accidentally) made a giant doughnut
so I thought maybe this could be fun...

Or how about interesting shapes?

I hear Stegosaurus tastes just like chicken...

And don't forget that you can pair your crackers with other things...

Homemade cheese and homemade crackers.
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

Stay tuned for tomorrow's lesson...
I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

The Learner said...

I was thinking that I have might try various types of flour to make different kinds of crackers. I have graham flour and quinoa flour. It might be interesting. :)

Tasha said...

The thought has never even crossed my mind that you could make crackers! LOL Way to go Joy!! :)

Post a Comment

You put your input in! You take some insight out! You put your input in and you shaaake it all abooout...